Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Two years in the making

This morning I am off for my first round of fieldwork with Tara Books. This an exciting moment for me, two years in the making. I have been taking classes and designing research papers to give me the background to conduct this work for years, from a class on English and Globalization In a Critical Context, to Indian Social Movements. From English language publishing in India, the role of the Social Economy for change, Community Development to a course on Transformative Education for social action. 
How to wind all this into a cohesive narrative that understands the people practices and mission behind Tara will be my work going forward. I have no doubt what I witness now will be daunting to grasp. Are publishing offices here very different from Canadian ones? How would my colleagues feel about an Indian scholar wandering through my offices at home in BC? If I were not white educated and employed /funded, would I be allowed this opportunity? I am acutely aware of my race and class here as the minority. If you want to feel rich just come to India
So the time has come for me to pull a thread of sense from these vast readings and weave a path. Ironic that all this sensible planning now cumulates into the very first action: stepping into the chaos of the road in an autorickshaw! 

Here I go, world. Ready as I will ever be

No comments:

Post a Comment